Monday, August 18, 2008

Emacs

I want everyone to understand how hard this post is to write. I have been a vim user for a long time. Vim has some real advantages - it's light, easy to use, and is installed on most unix systems by default. Last, but not least, google-reader uses vim style key bindings!

Until recently, vim did everything I needed it to and it did it well.

But, my current job requires me to write a lot of SPSS syntax. The only SPSS syntax highlighting files that I can find for vim are outdated and crufty. After I found PSPP, a project by the FSF, I suspected that my days with vim might be numbered. I was right.

SURPRISE!!!! PSPP integrates very well with emacs. There is even a major-mode for emacs, which makes editing SPSS syntax a dream.

So, with a heavy heart, I sat down and read the emacs tutorial.

And I liked it. Yeah, that's right. I actually liked what I saw. I don't want to get completely lost in the massive OS that is emacs, but I did enjoy using it today. Regexp is a little different and my fingers need to learn some new moves, but that will come.

eegads. the bazaar hath cometh.

No comments: