Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cantor

Lately, I've been cross-posting quite a bit. This discussion is yet another example of that trend. Here's the Ubuntu Forums Link.

I just saw an interesting here about a new program called Cantor. It looks like KDE 4.4 (hopefully out in time for the next LTS) will include a KDE-based front-end for Sage, Maxima and R.

I thought Sage was a front-end too which doesn't make much sense to me, but assuming this announcement comes to fruition, this could be a useful tool.

I'm interested to see how the develop an interface that is flexible enough to handle multiple mathematics packages via a GUI. If it's nothing more than a glorified editor with pretty graphics output, it's not that interesting. If it's a genuine attempt to build a modular GUI to a diverse set of mathematics tools, thereby lowering the learning curve necessary to use them, this could be really really exciting.

No comments: