Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Taking The Open Source Plunge

Today, I spent most of my day installing Kubuntu onto my work laptop. No, I haven't told my boss. Even though the hard-drive is a miserly 40 GB, I decided to partition it and install Kubuntu. A fait accompli will be easier to deal with that asking for permission. :-)

I am sick and tired of trying to get work done in an environment (Windows) that is clearly not meant to help me get my work done. The default installed tools are clearly inadequate. MS Office, while faster than OpenOffice.org, drives me bonkers.

Since starting at this company, I have successfully avoided using Outlook, etc. For almost 6 months, I have used FireFox, Thunderbird, jEdit, and other open-source tools. But, I missed Konqi, Kate, and the other tools I have been using regularly for years.

Because of some bad sectors on the hard-drive and my own overly cautious reactions, it took me most of the day to install Kubuntu. I'm still in the process of importing calendars, contacts, and other important information but most of the conversion is complete.

Right now I have 90% of the tools I need for my job. I am a policy analyst for a consulting firm that specializes in human services. Here is how I plan on getting my work done.

Browser - Konqueror, FireFox (More than adequate.)
Pim / Email - Kontact (I will miss some things from the T-bird + Lightning combo I was using.)
Documents - Writer
Spreadsheets - Calc
Access Database - umm, reboot and use Access . . . . . . .
Statistics - R-CRAN (Rkward, Kate, Rcmdr), Qalculate, Gnumeric

That pretty much covers what I need. Of course, I will also be using (and loving) Amarok and the other great KDE tools. Too bad I don't really have room to install all of my favorite KDE toys!

No comments: