Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Open Source Tools

One area of computers that really really interests me is how I can integrate open source software in my own personal work-flow at work. I work as a researcher/policy analyst for a small consulting firm. We specialize in research and policy in the human services field. As an avid Linux user it is _killing_ me to use Windows at work. I have every intention of replacing Windows with Kubuntu at my first real opportunity. But, before I do that, I need to meet a few criteria:
  1. Microsoft Office Compatibility - I don't mean similar, I mean EXACT. OOo currently has some real weaknesses (highlight, bullets to name a few) that limits my ability to use it at work.
  2. Access - Related to #1, but needs to be separate. We use Access for everything. Clients often send us data packets in Access files and we have literally hundreds of data sets from past projects stored in this format. Any migration solution that does not GUARANTEE continued access to this information is dead in the water.
  3. Exchange - Our groupware server is currently running Horde but we may switch to Exchange in the coming months. If we do, I need a client side solution for my email, calendar, etc.
  4. SPSS - We mostly use SPSS for data analysis. I think R can become a drop-in replacement for SPSS but I need to learn it.
  5. Cross Platform - I want to help move the company away from it's reliance on the Microsoft beast. In order to do this, I need to be able to give people specific tools they can use on Windows AND Linux in order to help make the transition smoother.
I use OpenOffice.org at work whenever I can. Unfortunately, OOo's inability to highlight text or use bullets in the same way as MS Office limits when and how much I can use OpenOffice.org. I am currently exploring the full dimensions of compatibility between OOo and MS Word (2003). I will post this when I have more information.

I am also learning R this week. I have decided to focus my efforts on the JGR (Java R GUI) and RKward. RKward isn't cross platform (yet) but it does appear to be a powerful R interface. JGR has the advantage of being distributed within R-CRAN itself and is completely cross platform, thanks to Java. This week I am going to focus my efforts at work on JGR and learn RKward in my free time at home.

As for Access, I am exploring Kexi in the KOffice packages for migration and I am interested in learning more about virtualization. At some point I need to put Kubuntu onto this laptop and make a stronger commitment to my open source ideals.

No comments: